This just happened to me! This is the email I've got from this "buyer": "Thanks you for the response according to the description, i am okay with the price and the condition posted on Offer Up.

I am ready to make instant purchase. My mode of payment would be in Cashier Check and i will arrange for a local pick up as soon as you get the check, because that is the only inconvenient means for me and due to my work frame i can not be able to get there and i promise everything will go smoothly. I really wish to be there to check out the item but i don't have chance cause am very busy person (US MARINE). Concerning the pick up, i will arrange for it after you receive the payment and it clears...

Pls get back to me with below info so that i can proceed with the payment immediately if you are selling to me. Full Name: Address: Not P.O.BOX City: State: Postal Code: Total amount for the item Phone Number: That i can send text Item Name : And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be send to you and i will let you know when its mailed out. Thanks and i hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hear from you. i will add an additional $20 so that you can hold it for me till the check reach you.

Best Regards" Something in my guts told me not to trust this guy. So I won't contact him anymore. He has not contacted me after I replied that I only take cash. Beside, He didn't want to use the app only by email.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Hope this post will help other sellers to avoid scammers.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss a product or service. OfferUp needs to read this review and look into the issue (if any) according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned a product or service in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at OfferUp.

Comments

Siloam Springs, Arkansas, United States #1296370

same happened to us..We just lost our money $1600..The bank just called us earlier today that the checked was a fraud..We feel so badly..We are just very poor and now we owed the bank..But anyway,i believed that karma will be back for them in the right time..Watch! Please be careful guys and don't trust easily..We learned lesson..

Schaumburg, Illinois, United States #1263584

The exact thing happened to me, word for word. Even send me a tracking number, USPS.

Vernal, Utah, United States #1256074

I got the exact same email!

Atlanta, Georgia, United States #1255127

This same "person" just literally gave me the same response but instead of a Marine they said they were a Medical Doctor with a busy schedule... POS!!

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States #1253573

Yep the exact same message as I have gotten three times. I fell for it the first time and the fake pastor even kept up with me and gave me a tracking number for the check. Does anyone know what they are getting out of it?

to Anonymous Campo Rico, Canovanas, Puerto Rico #1267113

What can they do with your information,what there getting out of it

Erlanger, Kentucky, United States #1253067

I get these about every 3 days

Cleburne, Texas, United States #1253037

i just met the same *** guy and two more right after him, told them i am a little to paranoid for that i am a veteran(army)and as you and i both know what people are capable of

to Anonymous Burlington, Massachusetts, United States #1255984

The same thing happens to me and im really scared now because not thinking I gave them all my info idk what I should do.

to Anonymous Bronx, New York, United States #1256756

Same thing with me, I am not sure what to do either, I have blocked the number and now have to wait a day go to authorities to make sure nothing will happen

El Monte, California, United States #1252860

Oh my god same thing happened to me. What do you think happens after you send them the information. The person I was dealing deleted their offer up account

Seattle, Washington, United States #1251110

Wow this lady just tried to by my bassinet and told me she was sending a check overnight through ups and she wants me to deposit check in my account then wants me to send extra money to her movers by moneygram this is crazy does this always happen

West Lynchburg, Virginia, United States #1250993

in reference to my boat sale,.. I was contacted by someone who said "his uncle" wanted the bass boat for the agreed to prices, etc., etc., then the same instructions as you related.

The "uncle lived in Houston, TX and I was "supposed to" text a phone number in Pennsylvania.... oh yeah, my check with the money for payment, PLUS an extra $70 for "keeping the item" for him was sent USPS overnight mail as he called it,(Express mail), it would be at my house by 3:00pm. There was also an amount over the sale price included in the check to be transferred through MONEYGRAM to the shipper, who was picking up other items in the area for transportation to Houston.

I was to deposit the money in my checking account, then do the transfer.

At first I thought I had sold my boat, then appearances became one of those "too good to be true" things. I am now contacting State Police's internet fraud section...

West Lynchburg, Virginia, United States #1250986

exactly what I have just experienced!! Mine was over a boat I was selling on Offerup.... Glad I read this, something in my gut also...

Norwood, Massachusetts, United States #1250796

I have experienced this on multiple items i tried to sell via Offerup and NO One from Offerup even respond to my call or email to put stop to this madness.