1.2K views

This happened to me :( and I was *** enough not to figure it out before it was too late. I was selling my old iPhone 6 for $270 and got a message from an interested buyer and gave me an email to contact them. I contacted them and their email response looked exactly like this one. They offered $50 for me to save the phone for them. I agreed to receive a check and was VERY *** to give them my home address for them to send the check, and when I received it, it was a check for $1,640. I was really scared and didn't know what to do with all this money and contacted them. At this point, they had been texting me from 4 different phone numbers (saying it was the husband, the secretary, etc). They told me to cash out the check and when their shipper came to pick up the phone, to keep my $320 and give them the rest of the money with the phone. It was sketchy for me but they said that the shipper was helping them with things for their wedding and they had to pay him $1,320.

I deposited the check and it cleared the next day and I could see the money in my account, therefore I didn't think I was being scammed. Then they wanted me to send the money through MoneyGram because the shipper needed it as soon as possible to proceed (as mentioned previously, all of this is through different numbers). I went to a CVS to send the money and I did. Then they started texting me that there was a problem and to cancel the transaction, but it had already been cashed out and nothing could be done. I talked to them by phone and they told me that they were being scammed and that I sent the money to the wrong person. Now I don't know what is going to happen. I still have my $320 and my phone... I don't know if the check can still bounce back, I am not from US and I feel very *** and bad right now. Has this happened to anyone? I want to know what will happen.

If youre going to sell on this app, please only accept to meet in person in a public place and only accept cash payments to avoid all this stress and this very uncomfortable situation.

This person wrote the review because of "i was scammed" of offerup profile from Offerup. Reviewer claimed that he or she lost $1640 and wants Offerup to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Offerup for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Comments

Perris, California, United States #1250558

This just happened to me!This is the email I've got from this "buyer":

"Thanks you for the response according to the description, i am okay with the price and the condition posted on Offer Up.

I am ready to make instant purchase. My mode of payment would be in Cashier Check and i will arrange for a local pick up as soon as you get the check, because that is the only inconvenient means for me and due to my work frame i can not be able to get there and i promise everything will go smoothly. I really wish to be there to check out the item but i don't have chance cause am very busy person (US MARINE). Concerning the pick up, i will

arrange for it after you receive the payment and it clears...

Pls get back to me with below info so that i can proceed with the payment immediately if you are selling to me.

Full Name:

Address: Not P.O.BOX

City: State: Postal Code: Total amount for the item Phone Number: That i can send text Item Name : And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be send to you and i will let you know when its mailed out. Thanks and i hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hear from you. i will add an additional $20 so that you can hold it for me till the check reach you. Best Regards" Something in my guts told me not to trust this guy.

So I won't contact him anymore. He has not contacted me after I replied that I only take cash. Beside, He didn't want to use the app only by email.

I'm sorry this happened to you.Hope this post will help other sellers to avoid scammers.

San Antonio, Texas, United States #1245002

Yes!Happened this week.

Very similar details. I went to the police and the bank to report it. The check I received was $875 more than the price of the item he was buying.

I knew right away it was a scam.Thankfully, I was smart enough to realize the scam before depositing the check.

to Anonymous Brooklyn, New York, United States #1246905

Does anyone know what happens if you deposit the check?

What did the police say?

to Anonymous Naples, Florida, United States #1247373

The check bounces and you are on the hook for it.

to LadyScot Westbury, New York, United States #1250123

The first post said the check cleared.

to LadyScot Naples, Florida, United States #1250301

A check can clear, then bounce when the owner of the hacked or stolen account files a complaint.

Channelview, Texas, United States #1244547

Same thing here, I just had an email exchange with a person wanting to buy my furniture for over $2000. Supposed to be sending me a check, I guess I might be tearing it up when it gets here, we shall see. Darn I wanted to be rid of that furniture

Montgomery, Alabama, United States #1243032

Hey thanks haven't happens to me yet but was going to they offered me a check and I gave them my information but now that I read this I just sent them an email saying I sold it

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States #1242460

This is happening to me right now and this sounds very similar to what this guy is telling me.

Thanks for the warning !!

to Anonymous Niles, Michigan, United States #1243500

Thanks for the tip cause this is actually what was about to happen to me.

to Anonymous Bronx, New York, United States #1247088

This is happening to me right now I just received the check for 1840 for the furniture I was selling for 300 $50 run around fee,when I received the check I emailed the guy asking his phone number he texted me with an app base phone number saying hes busy in office cant talk asking me if I deposited the check,does anyone know whats the reason behind this scam is my information been compromise d I did not deposit the check but they have my mailing address???

to Anonymous Brooklyn, New York, United States #1247111

I'm wondering the same thing... Does anyone know???

They tried this scam on me, but I figured it out before I got the cashiers check.Has anything else happened?

I'm still trying to figure out the scam.

Maybe it's money laundering.You should contact the FBI.

Killeen, Texas, United States #1242398

Sam happen to me did anything else happen

Naples, Florida, United States #1241967

It is not their fault you fell for a common scam.