Verified Reviewer

For starters my name is Nick not Tionne I have no idea why I was addressed as Tionne in the follow up email. No offense taken just kind of funny.

I sold a pair of Nikes for $150 and shipped them from California to Michigan.

We used PayPal (or so I thought) to transfer funds and one thing led to another I was getting emails from what I later learned to be a fake PayPal email account stating that I would have to provide an additional $300 because I needed to upgrade to a PayPal business account. It was my first time using PayPal so I assumed this to be normal. The buyer of the shoes (who I'm sure used a fake name) made it seem as if he was doing me a favor by covering the $300 to upgrade my account and in return he requested I purchase $300 Steam gift cards and send pictures of the activation codes directly to the fake PayPal email. I was dumb enough to do so.

After sending them the gift cards they almost immediately said I now had to pay my $200 PayPal Certificate fee, which again, the buyer insisted on covering for me. In exchange...you guessed it...he wanted $200 more in gift cards.

At this point I called PayPal and the verified it was a scam.

At the end of the day I was hoping the person responsible could be prohibited from using OfferUp anymore because this was an overall bad experience and it's such a great app. Luckily FedEx is shipping the shoes back to me but I still lost the $300 from the scam.

I have an entire thread of emails proving it was a scam if need be.

Location: Morgan Hill, California