1.5K views
1.6
Additional Fees
Privacy and Data Security
Turnaround Time

Person said, they were in the military and had to sell the motorcycle fast for they were about to deploy over seas.The ad was for 1500, so I offered to meet and they said they were on base with the bike.

They told me they would set shipping and payment up on ebay, and would perfer to take payment in itunes card. Sounds legit. They sent pics and the ebay info over. I did my part and received confirmation that everything was good to go.

Today ,I get a email from ebay saying that thay need 1000 more dollars to continue shipping. Sounds like a scam. The number that they are claiming is ebay support is 408-890-2276, which is in California, but ebay customer service number starts with 866. Sounds like I've been had.

Sucks cause now im out of 1500. Will never do this again.

Not to mention they said that their husband passed away 4 months ago.The name they used was Adelle Mountuy.

This reviewer shared experience about problems with payment and wants this business to read this review and look into the issue (if any). This person is overall dissatisfied with Offerup and uploaded picture s. Reviewer wants customer support to reach our to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Offerup.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Auctions and Internet Stores category for more informed decision or compare Offerup to other companies on our site.

Had an Experience with Offerup?

Comments

Plano, Texas, United States #1343974

I'm so shocked..how can anyone not know this in 2016?.

It's a scam. You've never heard it?.. never read about it?.

Never transact money in such a way that you can't trace.

Or pay attention to anyone who has a long story to tell.

Or at best, deal locally.

"and would perfer to take payment in itunes card.Sounds legit.

"

You're kidding, right? That should have screamed "SCAM" to you instantly. Scammers love getting gift card codes because they can take the money and it's not traceable.

The reason these lowlife scammers get away with this nonsense is because people don't think!

Come on, people.. If everyone had common sense, scammers would cease to exist.

BTW, they probably sent you to a fake Ebay site.

Ebay offers buyer protection, but scammers will set up fake sites that look like Ebay in an attempt to trick people.ALWAYS thoroughly read the url of every website you go to, and make sure it's secure before you give them so much as your first name.

Lake Havasu City, Arizona, United States #1333615

The itunes card wasn't a dead giveaway? If it ain't local then never give money

South Windsor, Connecticut, United States #1178801

This comment just saved me so much.I iniquired about a Range Rover and got a veryyyyy similar message to the one you got.

Husband passed away 4 months ago, she's selling it cheap because she's going away to another country for a year with her team and doesn't want to pay for it to be in storage.

Sorry for what happened to you!People suck

to Anonymous #1310434

Same thing happened to me and when I reported it to OfferUp they blamed me for my 'mistake'.They refuse to take the ads down saying they can't monitor everything and some stuff just slips through.

Apparently a lot slips through and they don't care as long as they get paid.

A total rip off.Avoid them.

I ran into one like that last night

Someone named staff Sgt heather reid is trying to sell a jeep bc said shes fixin to deploy

I have seen those ads.realy good deals but when I see the I am overseas and will handle on ebay.that ends it .it's a scam.beware

Same EXACT thing happened to us but for a vehicle.They used the military story, but their loved one died and they couldn't bare to look at his car any more!

$2k is what they got us for.

And we were so proud we were getting a descent car for our daughter.Shame on them!!