I bought an item through OfferUp and it was tied to a large group of scammers. I was checking the OfferUp app to see if my item has shipped and my purchase wasnt even listed.

So I called PayPal and this group actually hacked my call to them and called me back as if he was a PayPal representative. The scammer told me that the item was tied to a Chinese fraud ring and said he would credit my account. He then said the same group was trying to pull money out of my bank account. $1000 and a separate amount of $500.

He wanted me to go into my banking app account and set up two fictitious accounts through Zelle. I swear God tapped me on the shoulder and said Hang up!. I immediately called the bank while the scammer repeatedly tried to call me back. The bank had to change all of my accounts.

It was a horrible mess. And it has basically left me penniless until I receive my new debit and credit cards. I spent hours on the phone with my bank over a two-day period.

I just looked in the OfferUp app and on the first screen I found a new recumbent exercise bike from a reputable vendor but for a ridiculously low amount. FRAUD!

Not safe to ever use this app again. Nor will I use PayPal!

User's recommendation: Don’t ever use OfferUp or PayPal again! I’ll top of that neither of them can be reached on the phone.

OfferUp Cons: Let scammers list items to sell.

Comments