Elizabeth, Pennsylvania
8.2K views
Turnaround Time

I unfortunately gave them my Drivers License info. to join the "TruYou" membership on Offerup.

Waited and waited for the promised confirmation email...nada. Sent three more emails to their customer service...SURPRISE, THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. Also, while waiting, I listed something for sale that was deleted, completely, after a day. No email explaining why, nothing.

Worst site EVER! I would rather give eBay 10% and have someone give me actual service.

I would like to know if I have any recourse since they requested/solicited my personal information to join their little program and owners of site know they have no one working this site to follow up. Extremely worried where my personal information ended up.

This reviewer shared experience about "no customer service " and wants this business to offer any options to resolve the issue. This person is overall dissatisfied with Offerup. The most disappointing about offerup truyou membership at Offerup was no customer service feel scammed Reviewer wants customer support to reach our to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Offerup.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Auctions and Marketplaces category for more informed decision or compare Offerup to other companies on our site.

Comments

fixing_your_mess

Facts1. Truyou is NOT optional they force you to sign up otherwise you cannot make an account (as of now july 2018).

for those lucky enough to have made an offerup when dinosaurs existed you are the only exception.2. Offerup says not to give information to strangers etc....but then Truyou asks for id which has your address,date of birth,age,height,weight,picture of you (facial recognition anyone?),country you are in and 40 other personal things....so let me get this straight offer doesn't want me giving a stranger (im meeting) personal info but offerup (a stranger by the way cause I have NO idea who these fools are and have never met an offerup employee) itself has a "buddy" called Truyou and you expect me to give a 3rd party stranger my id? I don't even know you idiots who work at offerup and you expect me to trust a random idiot you're pointing to? If I don't trust you why would I trust them?

you're dumber than a bag of bricks.3. I guarantee 1000% Truyou will be the downfall of offerup once they get sued up the *** either from Truyou being hacked and personal info leaked (don't say it cant happen,everybody and their dog has been hacked at some point and personal info leaked even big name companies) or from a Truyou causing an incident with info they got off someone.4. Scared of a random buyer stealing from me? Im more scared of a Truyou employee/worker pulling up on me randomly out of nowhere since they have my address,number,face picture etc...

if I sign up for their services.

That's more threatening and scary because at least I know what the buyer wants but I have no idea what Truyou is after or their end goal.5. Theres a reason ebay,craiglist,amazon,newegg and 1000 other sites don't ask for id its a violation/illegal.

#1520535

Try bu is offers up way to block you if you try to make a new account after the block your account with no fair trial

Shreedhar Hegde

I have posted used items on Offerup, Letgo, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and eBay. Obviously eBay gets better attention, but a 12% fee on total sales is bit too much, at the same time offers protection (somewhat..

but most of the buyers have a Paypal and genuine). I live in NYC suburb and an ad attracts many interested parties when I post on any of the other apps, without me paying the 12% fee and also buyer gets for cheaper.However, Offerup needs to take care of few things. Instead making it hard for seller the app should focus on buyers ID verified, because there are many scammers around and the minute I post, I receive around 25-30 scam messages (specially requesting Paypal transaction with a story) and all of those are non verified accounts. Why does the app let the buyers contact the sellers without account being verified?Also, recently I was selling a used item worth $900 and there were 2 buyers tried to scam me, but I took precaution.

Because it is a lot of money for cash, I was thinking Venmo is secured if I am dealing with a genuine buyer. So, the first buyer kept me on wait for an hour and didn't come. Again made me hear a story and the next meeting was set-up. All of a sudden he started to ask me my Venmo ID and I thought buyer wants to know that my Venmo is valid (I still didn't understand why it need to be safe from buyers point of view).

But, I told the buyer that the amount is high and I need to check his ID and I would be meeting near police station. Buyer never responded. Maybe, they need to know the Venmo ID in advance so that they can set up some kind of scam before meeting?In a similar fashion, there was another buyer wanted to meet me in the city for Venmo transaction. He again asked me for Venmo ID, but I told him he can transfer by scanning code and I am not sharing.

He replied me that, anyways he got my Venmo through my phone number and I really wanted to check his Venmo linked to his number. I couldn't find and scammer told me it could be because the app is not synced. I went ahead and tried to lookup his number, turns out he is using a sideline number (just for scamming). I wanted to still confront him, but he was late by 45 minutes (Does anyone wait that long after we have a scheduled time and place?).

He was angry on the phone and told me he would never come to meet me again haha.Even cash transaction is not safe. If you see an ad that says, I will verify currency before exchanging in my ads you could be looking at my post. Shipping is a big no no, even if the payment is via Paypal. If the scammer buyer says he mailed him a brick, Paypal refunds him all his money and he keeps the item too.In terms of total audience, Facebook gets the maximum while Letgo stands second (with lot of scammers too).

Facebook is the best option because, you know with whom you're dealing with. I never deal with a FB user whose account is newer than 2 years.

to Shreedhar Hegde #1532256

Very smart one buddy....I love that you choose to be smart.

Truthfully as a seller I find the buyers are lower class than letgo or Facebook mart. They show late, don't show or show up with less than the agreed upon price and expect you to take it or leave it.

Or the few that straight out and out want to rob you at gunpoint.

It's not the sites fault, I know that. Just better experience with the other sites....

Sounds like a very foolish human being, like a man walking barefoot over rocks holding u half used pair of shoes

I have used offerup for over a year. Signing up for truyou and giving them a pic of your drivers license is completely optional.

I won't do it, too risky in my opinion. As to the removal of a listed item. Both offerup and letgo both have a list of things that cannot be listed and you should get familiar with what is not allowed.

Because other members can report a listing for not following the site rules and the item may or may not be removed because of it. Just read the info and follow it and they don't get deleted

Do i need to submit my CA ID to the OfferUp Truyou? Some what it is a SCAM?

JayJay216

I gave truyou my personal information and I linked my Facebook and confirmed my email, and I added my phone number just to buy and sale on they Site. And I still can't post an item or reply to messages.

All I know is if something happens to my personal information then I smell a big lawsuit coming and I will be getting lawyer up big time. I contacted OfferUp and they told me this The TruYou program allows us to cross reference the information you submit in order to verify your identity and is not stored by OfferUp... So if that's the case then why do we have to go through them on your site? I don't care who point the finger at who I save all my emails, and the crap I had to go through just in case.

I'll be using letgo and Craigslist & eBay as usual until this get situated. And I also realize it's people on that site who doesn't have truyou posting items and making sales but yet I can't post nothing or send messages.

Rubbing hands and waiting patiently.

I am deleting this app and will stop my friends to use this site,,guys be aware of this site they give truebadge to scammer and when we raise complaint they don’t even response.

to Anonymous #1400173

It was a good site, used it for close to 2 years, mostly buying. Lately, it’s getting flooded with scammers, especially car selling scammers.

I started reporting said scammers and even made ads telling people to be aware of these scammers.

All it got me was being banned from app. Oh well, I mostly used it for buying anyways, just trying to help someone not getting scammed.

to Anonymous too #1448136

I had a previous account that was hacked and they used it to post fake car ads and them i started getting horrible emails from pissed off people....lol...had to return alot of emails apologizing and delete the account....now offerup wants a drivers license pic?....not gonna happen...if they cant stop hackers then i want no part of their app....

to Anonymous too #1459243

If feel you man. I only buy myself. I wanted to enter the community to inlarge the population of trustworthy people but not after reading all this..

They told me they needed my I'd and took it and still can't use their site scammers

Los Angeles, California, United States #1308641

Dont't blame the website because you don't know how to operate your smartphone. I didn't have no problems whatsoever.

Let me guess you're using an iPhone. .

to ryan #1399626

I couldn't even get the back of my ID. And there is NO customer service. Believe me, I've tried.

LadyScot